Technical Note

The Halliburton Mission Statement at 2 a.m.: How We Took a Small Operator's Emergency Job

1789530728
Drilling insight article visual

It started with a phone call I almost didn't answer

It was 11:47 p.m. on a Wednesday in late February 2024 when Chris Chauvin called my mobile. I'd been asleep for about an hour, which means I answered with that voice that still sounds like sleep. Chris is a field operations coordinator I've worked with for six years, and he doesn't call people at that hour to confirm a timesheet.

“We got a problem,” he said.

A small independent operator in the Permian Basin had a channel in a recent cement job. The well was making water from a lower zone and basically bypassing the oil pay. In my role coordinating well intervention and completion services at Halliburton, I hear about channels and remedial squeezes all the time. What made this one different wasn't the technical problem. It was the size of the customer and the deadline.

The operator needed a remedial squeeze pumped before Friday. A rig was moving off location Friday evening. If that well wasn't isolated by then, the operator could wait weeks for the next permit window. For a company with one well in that section, that wait wasn't an inconvenience. It was a budget problem.

So at midnight I found myself doing the same thing I always do with rush requests. I didn't start with the Halliburton mission statement. I started with time.

Time: the first constraint

In emergency work, time isn't a hope. It's the first constraint. I've handled more than 200 rush requests in nine years, and the difference between a successful rush and an expensive failure is whether you can translate a deadline into a schedule before you promise anything.

The operator's usual cementing provider had booked the job for Friday afternoon. Then that provider pulled the crew and moved them to a larger operator's job. No hard feelings; that's how the field works. But the small operator was left with about 48 hours to find a replacement.

“Can we get a crew there by Friday?” Chris asked.

I said, “Friday before noon.” He heard, “Friday close of business.” We didn't catch that mismatch until the next call. We were using the same words but meaning different windows. That kind of communication failure is almost invisible on a normal job. On a rush job, it can burn a day and a half.

The reason we caught it is that I've made the mistake before. After a few painful mixups, I started repeating deadlines back as actual calendar times: crew on location by 10:00 a.m. Friday, cement pumped by 3:00 p.m., well handed back by Saturday morning. If the other person hesitates, you haven't found a plan. You've found an idea.

That discipline matters even more when the customer is small. A large operator has other wells running and can absorb a delay. A small operator's only producing well is the one waiting on this decision. Small doesn't mean unimportant. It means the margin for error is thinner.

Feasibility: yes, but only with the right routing

With 48 hours on the clock, the next question was feasibility. Could Halliburton physically get a cement unit, a crew, and the right blend to that location in time? Probably yes. The less obvious problem was commercial: the small operator didn't have a services agreement with Halliburton. They worked mostly with the provider that had just canceled on them. That meant procurement, insurance certificates, and a customer account that didn't exist yet.

That is where I saw a gap in our own process. We didn't have a formal emergency order process for something under $20,000. In the middle of the night, the system expected a new client to go through the same setup path as a multi-well package. We kind of made it up as we went. If you've ever seen a process get invented under pressure, you know it isn't pretty, but it can move fast when everyone agrees the goal is to say yes.

The bulk cement plant had the right blend nearby. Not perfect. There was one quality check that had to be rushed, and honestly, I'm not sure why the paperwork for that check didn't show up earlier. My best guess is that the plant was prioritizing larger tickets and the small job stayed in the queue. That's not an excuse; it's a pattern.

Chris handled the commercial part. He called the operator and was refreshingly blunt: we need to move fast on the service agreement, or Friday morning becomes Monday. The operator's owner drove to Midland to sign the papers in person. That decision, a human in a truck instead of an email chain, saved us four hours.

Risk: what I kept asking myself

Here is the part nobody likes to mention during a rescue story. There was a real chance this could fail. A remedial squeeze has to be pumped at the right rate and density. If we got the placement wrong, the well could be worse off than before. The upside of helping was maybe $13,000 in revenue and a grateful customer. The risk was a mechanical issue on a well owned by an operator who didn't have a big legal and engineering team to absorb the problem.

I kept asking myself: is the goodwill worth potentially explaining a bad outcome to a client we just met? Honestly, at 2:00 a.m., the answer wasn't obvious. I don't think people who say they had no doubt are being truthful. I've never fully understood how some people can make that calculation instantly. For me, it comes down to a simple check: if I wouldn't put my own reputation on the line, I shouldn't put Halliburton's name on the truck.

What convinced me was the operator's reaction. They didn't ask for a discount. They didn't try to negotiate us down to commodity pricing. They asked for a straight answer and a commitment. That's the kind of customer worth going out of the way for, no matter how small the ticket.

The Halliburton mission statement, translated at 2 a.m.

I know you can find the Halliburton mission statement in official pages, and it reads like most corporate mission statements. It talks about creating value for customers across the energy lifecycle. On a Thursday morning with a $13,000 job and a nervous operator waiting by the phone, that phrase means something more practical: don't treat the size of the invoice as the size of the problem.

People also search for TechnipFMC Halliburton comparisons because both names show up in the same conversations. They are not the same company. TechnipFMC's subsea and surface work is world-class, and Halliburton's upstream footprint goes all the way from drilling fluids to well intervention. But the reason the comparison comes up so often isn't only products. It's culture. Will a big service company show up for a small piece of work?

At 1:10 a.m., Chris Chauvin answered that for me. “We can do this if we keep it simple,” he said. “One crew. One blend. One customer. No extras.” That was the entire plan.

Then Thursday happened

The first problem was the cement blend. The local bulk plant had product, but the certificate for the blend was entered into the system under the wrong date. We didn't discover it until the driver was about to load. The plant couldn't issue a corrected certificate without a lab retest, and the retest meant losing six hours.

That's when the operator's owner did the most useful thing I saw all trip. He didn't yell. He got in his pickup, drove 40 miles to the bulk plant, and stood there until the retest was complete. He wasn't standing on ceremony. He was standing in the way of the plant's next priority.

The second problem was closer to home. Our dispatcher had routed the cement unit from a fracturing fleet's staging yard based on an older GPS address. The well was on a newer lease road that didn't show up on the program. The crew spent an extra 45 minutes trying to find the gate. We fixed it with a phone call and a flashlight, but it was a reminder that time maps don't always match the real world.

I remember thinking: if this were a large operator's job, someone would have sent a driver beforehand to mark the route in daylight. For this job, we were making it up. The third time a small detail went wrong, I started writing down what our emergency response process should have been. We should have had that document long ago.

The result

By Friday afternoon, the crew was on location at 1:35 p.m. They rigged up, tested surface lines, and pumped the squeeze by 4:10 p.m. The well held pressure. The crew monitored the cement long enough to hand the well back that evening. I got the confirmation text from Chris at 7:22 p.m. It just said: “Almost lost count of how many times we almost lost this day. But done.”

I'm not going to pretend the job was a financial home run. The revenue covered costs and maybe a little margin. That's not why I remember it. I remember it because the small operator later sent us a two-month production test showing oil output back to where it should have been. The owner also said something I still think about: “I know you talk about the Halliburton mission statement. To me, the value is that you treated my well like it was your own.”

How to take care of a small operator in a time crunch

If you've ever been on the other side of an emergency request, the one where you are small, the deadline is impossible, and the big vendor's scheduler puts you on hold, you know how easy it is to lose hope. Take it from someone who has handled both sides: the answer is usually not bigger equipment or smarter chemistry. It is a person willing to do the unglamorous work of coordinating.

  • Name the exact time and repeat it. “Friday before noon” isn't a commitment. “By 10:00 a.m. central” is.
  • Have an escalation path for small orders. If you don't have one, a competitor will. Write it down before the 2 a.m. call.
  • Treat the small operator's deadline as real. For them, one well may be their whole quarter. Small doesn't mean unimportant. It means potential.

Honestly, I still don't understand why so many companies treat emergency requests from low-revenue customers as a burden instead of an opportunity. My best guess is that it has nothing to do with engineering and everything to do with internal incentives. But in a market where customers compare trusted names as often as they compare technical specs, the crew that shows up for the small stuff is the one that earns the bigger work later.

That night, Chris Chauvin told me something that stuck. “A 2 a.m. call doesn't ask if the client is big enough to deserve an answer,” he said. “It asks if we've built a system that can say yes without lying.”

I think that's the mission statement, with the clock ticking.

Halliburton Engineering Editorial Team

Our technical articles are developed to help project teams connect equipment selection, service planning, and operational learning in one readable format.